2012 Athena Award
- Brenda Dardar-Robichaux of Golden Meadow
Dardar-Robichaux is the president of Bayou Healers and a former principal chief of the 17,000-member United Houma Nation. Due to policies of segregation, Brenda was the first child in her family to be allowed to attend public school and was her family’s first high school graduate. In 1992 she began serving on the Tribal Council of the United Houma Nation and in 1997 she was elected principal chief. The devotion to her people inspired her to start the United Houma Nation Relief Fund/Center that, in the wakes of hurricanes Katrina, Rita, Gustav and Ike, provided thousands of tribal citizens with much needed supplies, food, clothing, furniture and grant assistance. She travels the nation speaking on issues that affect south Louisiana, including making three trips to the White House.
Other 2012 nominees:
- Wendy Wilson Billiot, owner of Wetland Tour & Guide Service, Camp DuLarge and Wetlands Media
- Pat Chauvin, owner of Pat’s of Chauvin Inc.
- Josefina Guerrero-Fondaw, owner of La Joya y El Encanto
- Linda Henderson, community problem solver for Terrebonne Parish Consolidated Government
- Carl “Tracy” Schwab, counselor and attorney with Tracy Schwab Law
- Katie Sims, director of economic development at Options for Independence and executive director of eCenter
- Tara Stringer, community relations director for Southern Care Inc.
- Diane Yeates, chief operating officer of Terrebonne General Medical Center
- Diamond Level: Barker Buick GMC
- Topaz Level: Alford, Staples, Lapeyre & Robichaux LLC and Terrebonne General Medical Center
- Pearl Level: Stephanie Hebert Allstate Insurance
Pictured at the event are Dardar-Robichaux and Mike Barker of Barker Buick GMC, premier sponsor of the event.